Sowmya Brings You India's Favorite Dish
I love Indian food obviously, but one of my absolute favorites is this amazing rice dish made with aromatic spices especially cooked for major Indian celebrations and festivities! As a child in India, I used to not be a fan of non vegetarian foods but I always savored a delicious plate of chicken biryani, a flavorful rice dish made with a ton of spices and chicken. It comes in other meat variations or can be made as a vegetarian dish! Today I will be sharing a house favorite recipe that my mom uses to make this wonderful and popular Indian dish. It is simple and I also have some pics to make the process easier for you! Enjoy! :)
Tip of the day: What is chicken biryani?
Answer: It is a popular Indian rice dish made with a blend of spices and chicken.
How can I make this recipe more kid friendly?
This recipe is delicious but can be very spicy. You can reduce the amount of biryani mix you add, as it can be overwhelming for kids.
Serving Size: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 cup of boneless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 box of biryani mix
- 2 cups of thinly chopped onions
- 1 cup of chopped mint
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 cup of water
- 5 cups of basmati rice
- 10 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of cloves, cumin seeds, and cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons of yellow or orange food coloring mixed with some water
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Grocery Shopping Tips:
- Check your pantry for all the ingredients including the rice, spices, onions, yogurt and more. Make a list of the ones you do not have.
- In this recipe I have used the Indian biryani spice mix which I got from an Indian store but is also found on Amazon, Click Here to purchase Chicken Biryani Spice Mix on Amazon!
- In a large wok, heat oil and fry the onions till the become really brown and crunchy. After your fry them, set it aside to cool. When they are cool, crush it into small pieces with your hands.
- Now we will open up the biryani spice mix into a small bowl and add a little water to it to make paste.
- Next add the chicken pieces to a large bowl and then add the biryani spice mix, the yogurt, mint, cilantro, food coloring and crushed onions and mix well. Set it aside and let it marinate for 2 hours.
- Next we will make the rice for the biryani. In a large cooking pot add your rice and double the cups of water as the rice. So if you have 5 cups of rice, add 10 cups of water. Then add the mix of cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds to rice and mix well. Cook on the stove for 12 minutes on medium heat till it is halfway cooked. Next we will drain the rice and set it aside.
- In the empty pot that is emptied of rice, add your chicken marinade to the bottom of the pot. Over the marinade we will add the entirety of the partially cooked rice. Pour some oil over the top of the rice as well, about 1 tablespoon.
- Now cook the rice over the stove on medium heat for 5 minutes. Next place a flat pan or girdle over the stove and place the pot with the rice over the flat pan and cook for 30 minutes. We do this so that we do not burn chicken marinade which is on the bottom of the pot.
- Once it is done, serve hot with curry or raita (Indian yogurt with veggies)
Have a great day,
Frying my onions till it is golden brown
My chicken pieces!
Added the food coloring
Will add yogurt next
Added my yogurt for the marinade
Next I will add my biryani mix
Make a paste out of it with water
Add it to the marinade
Add the crushed onions
Next we will add the mint and cilantro
Set it aside for 2 hours and let it marinade
Next we will soak the rice in water and clean it
In a separate pot add 10 cups of water
Let it boil
Once it boils we will add the rice
Added the rice with the cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds. Let it cook halfway
Once it has cooked halfway, drain the water out of the rice like this
Pour your rice over the marinade
Put all the rice in
Once all the rice is in, we will cook it
Pour some oil over the rice
Cook for 10 minutes
Then we will move it over a flat pan like this and cook for another 30 minutes
Now we will mix everything well
Mix the marinade at the bottom with the rice on top
All done! serve!!! and enjoy!